Welcome to Yarn Asylum!
Located in Clarksville, TN, we are pleased to be a sanctuary for the yarn addicted. Yarn Asylum stocks a wide variety of yarns, notions, needles, hooks, books and gifts for fiber enthusiasts. We also have classes and workshops geared for ALL levels of stitchers – beginner through advanced.
Drop by and see us soon!
Please note our new Winter Visiting Hours:
Effectively immediately, our normal daily hours are changing.
Yarn Asylum will be closing at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, & Saturday.
On Thursdays, we will remain open until 8:00 pm
for Group Therapy.
Sunday hours will remain 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm.
As usual, we are closed on Mondays.
If you need to visit Yarn Asylum and can’t make it by 5:00 – please give me a call and, if possible, I will wait for you!
Introducing the 2017
Yarn Asylum PhD Program
How many times have you thought about finishing your PhD? Some of you are probably saying that you never even started it, but it’s not too late.
At Yarn Asylum – PhD has a special meaning. PhD = Projects Half Done.
You know the ones I am referring to. The “pair” of socks that is missing a mate. The sweater that just needs a couple sleeves and it is done. The scarf/shawl/hat/cowl pattern that you fell in love with – maybe even got the pattern and yarn – and then put it aside to work on “someday”.
It is time to pull out those projects and get them finished! We are here to encourage and inspire you to complete 10 projects in 2017.
Here is how the PhD Program/Challenge works:
How to Participate:
1. Come into the shop and register for the Challenge.
2. Fill out your assignment list of 10 projects you would like to complete in 2017. (Forms are available in the shop or can be emailed to you for completion.) The projects can be knitting, crocheting, weaving or a combination of any and all.
3. Please be specific on what you need to complete on each project to make it FINISHED.
Syllabus & Curriculum:
1. On the SECOND Saturday of each month, we will meet at Yarn Asylum at 11:00 am. I will pick a random number between 1 and 10. (I will also email that number to all the PhD Program participants and post it on our Facebook page.)
2. You need to finish the project on your list that corresponds with that number by the next month’s meeting.
3. Bring your completed project to the PhD Program Show & Tell meeting on the first Saturday of the next month. You will have the opportunity to show off your project and receive praise & accolades from your fellow undergrads.
4. At the end of the year, you will have 10 completed projects for yourself or to give as Holiday gifts!
Awards and Promotions:
1. Everyone who brings in a completed project to the monthly Show & Tell meeting will receive an entry into our monthly scholarship pool. (The monthly scholarship will be provided by Yarn Asylum and will include items such as notions, patterns, yarn and other fiber goodness.)
In order to receive an entry, your project must be completed on time and you must bring it by the shop so we can record it as complete. It is not mandatory to attend every monthly Show & Tell meetup, but why miss the fun and excitement??
2. Each entry stays in the scholarship pool and counts towards the Grand Prize Diploma at the end of the year. The more projects you complete on time, the more chances you will get to win the Grand Prize.
3. At each meeting, we will have coupons and special sales for all participants!
The Grand Prize Diploma:
I will present the winner of the final drawing a $100 Gift Prescription to Yarn Asylum!
Daytime Group Therapy! Every Wednesday 10:00am – 12:00pm
Group Therapy! Every Thursday from 6pm – 8pm
Come sit around our big table and join other fiber fanatics as you work on your current project or get inspired to start another. The talk is lively and the enthusiasm is motivating. Drop in and meet new friends. Bring in your problem projects and get advice from other knitters and crocheters. Show off your finished designs and let us all envy your accomplishments! Learn some new techniques as we share and enjoy the social aspect of our hobby!
The table at Yarn Asylum is always open for you to come in and enjoy some time to knit or crochet. Spend your lunch time getting in a few rows on that scarf or stop by on your way home from work to unwind for a bit. Free WiFi is also available if you are experiencing a momentary Ravelry withdrawal.
Asylum (as defined by dictionary.com)*
(especially formerly) an institution for the maintenance and care of the mentally ill, orphans, or other persons requiring specialized assistance.
an inviolable refuge, as formerly for criminals and debtors; sanctuary:
a refuge granted an alien by a sovereign state on its own territory.
a temporary refuge granted political offenders, especially in a foreign embassy.
any secure retreat.
*Text highlighted by the Yarn Asylum Director